Saturday, September 02, 2006



Heart Felt or Pocket Felt? Tom's apology would be more impressive if it had come prior to his being kicked off the Paramount lot for his off-screen strange behavior. But let us all remember, as he told Matt Lauer, this dyslexic, high school drop-out has carefully studied psychiatry. Either that, or he skimmed a pamphlet authored by L. Ron Hubbard at the Scientology Center. . . .

Shields: Cruise made 'heartfelt apology'
Brooke Shields says Tom Cruise has apologized for publicly criticizing her use of antidepressants after the birth of her first daughter.
The two had a public beef last year after the "Mission: Impossible III" star, echoing the position of Scientology, said in an appearance on NBC's "Today" show that depression can be treated with exercise and vitamins rather than drugs.
The 41-year-old actress says Cruise apologized in person Thursday.
"He came over to my house, and he gave me a heartfelt apology," Shields said Friday during an appearance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno." "And he apologized for bringing me into the whole thing and for everything that happened.
"And through it all, I was so impressed with how heartfelt it was. And I didn't feel at any time that I had to defend myself, nor did I feel that he was trying to convince me of anything other than the fact that he was deeply sorry. And I accepted it."
Cruise's spokesman confirmed the celebrities made up.
"It is true that his friendship with Ms. Shields has been mended," spokesman Arnold Robinson said in a statement. "He has not changed his position about antidepressants, which as evidenced by the black label warnings issued by the FDA on these types of drugs, are unhealthy."
Shields, who wrote "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression," has dismissed the actor's remarks as a "ridiculous rant" and "a disservice to mothers everywhere."

6 Comments:

Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

In my opinion, Mr. Cruise has done a disservice to mothers and their spouses by his spokesman’s statement: “He has not changed his position about antidepressants . . . ” I don’t know how multi-millionaire celebrities live their lives, but I do know what it’s like to live with someone with postpartum depression. I know first hand that medication and therapy works.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

dan - I agree - and your wife is lucky to have a supportive husband rather than someone who poo-poos a serious condition.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I wonder how much money Tom Cruise gave Brooke to tell the media that he had apologized?

11:28 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Any more, that Cruise is in a movie is a big negative to me - the only one of his movies I've been able to tolerate in a very long time is Collateral

7:40 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I'm a little disturbed by Brooke going on Leno and being Tom's little spokesperson. I hope Xenu hasn't gotten to her.

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home