Friday, April 25, 2008



"Hubris" (or what your mother referred to as "getting too big for your britches"), is a term that comes from the ancient Greek civilization. According to its modern usage, it is a term used to describe one who demonstrates exaggerated self pride, arrogance, or self-confidence (overbearing pride), often resulting in fatal retribution. In Ancient Greece, "hubris" referred to actions taken in order to shame and humiliate the victim, thereby making one-self seem superior.


And let me tell you, the Golf Gods gave me a smackdown Friday. I have never been a particularly athletic person - I was picked last for teams more than once growing up, and I avoided participating in most sports to avoid embarassing myself, but with my recent return to golfing, I was starting to feel a little confidence.
I played pretty well two weeks ago, and I had a good lesson last week. So I ventured out to the course yesterday with a little spring in my step. Not to mention that I was wearing the cutest golf outfit ever, and having lost a few pounds was feeling pretty good about myself.
Then we got to the first hole. As Lynne and I were walking to the first tee, we encountered two men who were both "singles" and asked to join our group. "Why, of course!" I proclaimed magnanimously.
My tee shot was not good, but it went straight, and had some distance. I figured I could work with it. Then the wheels fell completely off. It wasn't that my next few shots were bad, IT'S THAT I COMPLETELY LOST THE ABILITY TO EVEN HIT THE BALL.
That's right. I'd swing and miss. Or I'd swing and ground the club straight into the dirt A FOOT BEHIND THE BALL.
Panic struck. I felt sick and like I wanted to cry. Perhaps I should take my ball and go home? For now, I decided to pick up my hot pink Flying Lady and start over on the second hole.
I downed the rest of my beer, and took a few deep breaths. The second hole was better, and I parred the third hole.
But since I am signed up to play in a client's golf tournament in 5 weeks, I better make my way to the driving range - fast. Let me tell you, the swagger in my step is gone . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

That post pretty much sums up my golf game!!! Its that one hole that we play really good that keeps us coming back!

8:22 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I gave up golf 20 years ago 'cause I felt I looked tacky in plaid... Like your opening on hubris... sometimes it does seem the gods are out to get us.

9:14 AM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

You had performance anxiety.

9:20 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Maybe after considering your good deed with the baby bird, the gods will have mercy on your golf game and give you your swagger back.

I swear, that game is more mental than anything else.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home