Friday, December 29, 2006


Today I went to Barnes and Noble, courtesy of a Christmas gift card. My scores were:

Cooking Light 2007 - at the end of every year, Cooking Light puts all the recipes from the previous year's magazines into one book - this is my twelfth in the series.

The Gourmet Slow Cooker - Since I have a couple bottles of Guinness Stout in the 'fridge, I think I'll try the Beef Guinness Stew this weekend.

What Came Before He Shot Her by Elizabeth George - autographed! This is George's latest in the Inspector Lynley series.

Simisola by Ruth Rendell - Rendell is one of the finest writers working in the mystery genre.

A 2007 Calendar - half price!

On a different note, a few years ago I read a biography of Queen Elizabeth I. It is well known that Elizabeth eventually had her cousin, Mary, Queen of Scots, beheaded, after she was presented with proof (arguably dubious) that Mary had plotted with others to assassinate Elizabeth. What is often overlooked is that Elizabeth repeatedly refused to order Mary's execution despite incredible pressure to do so (most believed Mary had been involved in the death of her husband) because she feared the precedent she would be setting - that it was an acceptable alternative to execute a fellow head of state - even one who had been deposed. Elizabeth's wisdom allowed her to remain in power and the reigning monarch for decades despite the demands of Parliament and her advisors to find a suitable mate, to whom she would doubtless have had to relinquish power. Such wisdom is, indeed, a rarity.

1 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Interesting books there, I have a beef recipe that calls for Guinness too. It's good!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home