Wednesday, October 25, 2006



The first time I saw the Clash was in 1980, at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. When the album London Calling came out, my roommate and I were so enamored with it, that we bought tickets to see the band, and bought the album - on 8 track tape - so we could listen to it in her 1970 Volvo on our way to the show. Amazingly, we weren't jumped and killed by the punks - I was wearing my new bright blue spandex pants, and Liz had on black satin ones I think. They had taken out all the seats for the show, so it was just a crowded dance floor. The things I remember about the show was how great London Calling and Train in Vain were, how awful Joe Strummer's teeth were (he had them fixed shortly thereafter), and how friendly the band members were. At one point, someone threw his leather jacket on the stage. Mick Jones returned it to the owner, saying politely, "thanks, mate, but I already have a jacket." Later in the show, the barrier between the crowd and the stage started to collapse, so between songs, the guys jumped down to help security fix it.

Now they are being honored at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - On Saturday, "Revolution Rock: The Story of the Clash" opens to the public and will be on display until April 15, 2007. Among the exhibit's pieces are instruments, including Simonon's famous smashed bass from the cover of "London Calling" — regarded as one of rock's finest recordings. The exhibit also includes stage clothing, memorabilia and original manuscripts from songs like "Know Your Rights" and "Clampdown."

Long live the Clash!

13 Comments:

Blogger PixieGaf said...

I am so jealous that you got to see them play its not even funny! None of the bands of my generation can even compare to the Clash. God I wish I was born ten years earlier.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Pixie - I have seen some stellar bands, but I also spent alot of drunken nights in my youth at the Hollywood Palladium watching one hit wonder New Romantic acts from Britian! You win some, you lose some, but it's always fun to try out something new, or go see live music.

9:24 PM  
Blogger v said...

I'm totally jealous too. "Rock the Casbah" is a great song.

11:25 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Pixie is right. The music of our generation sucks. The concerts I have been to include:

*Nickelback (UGH, you think they're terrible on the radio, you haven't heard them LIVE)
*NCYNC (Don't ask. I didn't pay for the ticket, I just accompanied a friend. It was a big mistake)
*Avril Lavine (I'm reusing the excuse I gave for NCYNC)

The best concert I went to was The Tragically Hip on New Years Eve 2001. Speaking of which, why the hell haven't The Hip become popular south of the border? It's a Canadian mystery.

10:59 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Damn! I never saw The Clash! That's some great punk rock cred right there!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Mishy - hey I once got roped into taking my cousin to the Shaun Cassidy concert - he actually put on a surprisingly good show, albeit a show that couldn't be heard over all the screaming fans . . . I always see Tragically Hip listed as every Canadian's fav band - I'm not sure why they have never caught on down here . . .

la - the punkest show I ever attended was X at the Whiskey. My boyfriend (going thru a punk phase) was big enough that the punkettes spitting on all girls entering the venue let me pass by un spit upon . . . at least I had left my blue spandex pants at home in favor of a leopard print dress . . .

4:47 PM  
Blogger PixieGaf said...

Diane what was the best show you ever been to?

5:26 PM  
Blogger kookla@work said...

What? Do you realize not many people can say they've seen The Clash? That's really amazing. I went through a Goth/Punk phase during the 80s! Were you a hardcore punk or just passing through?

5:57 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

kookla - I always liked the music - still do - but I could never pull off the look and the attitude . . . though I could generally hold my own pogo-ing and slam dancing :-)

pixie - that's a great question, and really got me thinking. Back in the late 70s, early 80s, there were so many great bands - particularly British - coming over to play after really strong early albums - The Police, U2, the Clash, to name a few - and I was lucky enough to see them on their first tours in small venues, and then later as they developed and became more popular. All of those are favorite concerts, but one of my all time favorite's was about 9 years ago, when The Who did a Quadrophenia Tour. Quadrophenia is one of my top 5 albums of all time, and it was a dream come true for me to see the band play the double album from beginning to end. Billy Idol - another great live act - came out and played the role of "Ace Face" - a role played by Sting in the movie Quadrophenia . . .

One band I have never seen live and would love to, is Green Day . . .

9:21 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

i must be a little too young for this era in music. I have a varied taste in music, but I am not a huge fan of the Clash.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

ryan - trust me - this was a very, very, very long time ago . . . :-)

9:26 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Wow. Thinking about The Clash brings me back. They were no longer a group by the time I got into them.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

getflix - in So Cal, we would get exposed to alot of great new music early on through KROQ, a local radio station, who's morning DJ, Bean, is the reason I first started blogging. At least back then, there were a lot of small venues for these new bands to play, and the tickets were cheap enough for us college students to afford . . . it was a pretty good time for music!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home